I had no idea so many of you would play along on my little game of chance. It was an amazing day, and a challenge to try to fulfill at least suggestion from almost everyone who commented and to document it in some way. But it was also so much fun.
. It was an adventure filled with many moments of resistance and joy and delight. Here is my the interactive piece I did for the class project.
I want you know know that the best thing I rediscovered through this project was just how amazing YOU are.
You are generous, sensuous, playful, romantic, and thoughtful.(Yes, you.)
You nudged me stop and take care of myself and pause; drink warm tea, luxuriate in a foot bath (the first I've ever given myself), throw myself in the snow; dance, twirl. Mostly the whole thing pushed me outside of my comfort zone and made me contemplate when I started taking things so seriously.
I was struck by how infrequently I really allow myself luxuriate in the moment. My life has gotten so busy that I'm uber focused on tasks and projects most of the time. If I stop to linger, it is to browse through my favorite photography blogs, to read something, or to stare out the window. Text and images have become the only way I fill up this hunger for beauty that lives in my soul.
My fingertips and taste buds, tendons and feet were grateful to be remembered; to be used, engaged, made to move, revel, relax, reach beyond.
How often do you flirt with chance? When do you allow yourself to step outside of your ordinary? Do you allow yourself the chance of random conversations with strangers? Moments lingering over tea? What senses do you nourish throughout your day? Which do you neglect?
To thank you, I am sending you on your very own chance encounter mission this week. It felt so taken care of by you in this unexpected way. I am so grateful for the opportunities you offered me to dig into ordinary moments of my day, and to find in them so much beauty. I hope you feel the same.
HOW TO PLAY:
In the comments share a link to your blog with photos (and words) documenting your discoveries. One person chosen at random will receive an original tiny art piece in the mail, and I'll feature some of my favorite of your photos/posts later this week here.
This os permission to allow yourself to play; to follow whimsy and to explore who you are in this moment.
1. Make yourself your favorite breakfast. Use extra butter. Cream. Real maple syrup. Bacon. Whatever it is that you love .
2. Buy yourself tulips.
3. Take 10 minutes and pin, tape, or post some images that you love to a wall in your workspace.
4. Go outside, set a timer for 4'33 seconds and just breathe and listen.
6. Buy a pint of raspberries. Stick them on your fingers like you did when you were a kid. Eat them one by one. Don't share.
7. Do something for a stranger: buy the person in line behind you coffee, pay a toll, fill a parking meter, give them a flower....
8. Clear a space, get down on the floor and stretch for five minutes.
9. Dance to this song.
10. Take a self portrait, of your face, in good light. Revel in your beauty.
Document in some way. Ready. Set. Go!